Agent denies Perez deal in the works

Agent denies Perez deal in the works

WASHINGTON -- Agent Martin Arburua denied an ESPN.com report stating that the Nationals are working on a multi-year deal for his client, left-hander Odalis Perez.

Arburua reiterated that the team has expressed an interest in retaining Perez but that both parties are going to see how the free-agent market plays out.

"What I told you [last week] is exactly how it is," Arburua said by phone on Monday night. "I want the Nationals to understand that we are clear. We talked, and that's where it is."

A baseball source familiar with the Nationals' thinking simply said that the report is "not true."

The Nationals on Monday night would not confirm that such an offer is in place.

Last season, Perez, 31, pitched for the Nationals and made $850,000, a huge cut from the $7.7 million he made while pitching for the Royals in 2007. Arburua declined to say what kind of deal Perez wants.

Perez went 7-12 with a 4.34 ERA in 30 starts for Washington.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.